Thursday, April 26, 2012

And the journey begins...

My wonderful journey to the Holy Land started with a tearful good bye. I sure do love my family and miss them oodles already but knowing that it is only a few short months and that I will be so busy learning makes it all the better. Oh how I love these two people. 

Next came way too many hours on a plane. We flew from SLC to JFK and then from JFK to Tel Aviv. We technically left at 11:00 am on Tuesday in Utah and arrived at 2:30 on Wednesday in Tel Aviv. Here are a few things that I noticed while traveling: security will ALWAYS be stressful, the plastic airplane food is not my favorite, the people of Israel already are some of the most kind people I have ever met, and that I already have made 80 new friends. This is going to be a wonderful trip!
(This trip was so fun with these two)

WELCOME TO THE BYU JERUSALEM CENTER FOR NEAR EASTERN STUDIES!!!!
This was our first view when getting here. We were greeted by the staff and service couples with hugs, hand shakes, and lemonade. What a beautiful sight this was to see. The Jerusalem Center truly is one of the most beautiful buildings I have ever seen! 

Melissa, Rachelle, and I as we first entered the Jerusalem Center. Pay no attention to the fact that we have all been traveling for almost an entire day... but yet so excited and amazed by the fact that we are actually in Jerusalem.

Is this real, might you ask? YES!!!! We came into the center and immediately sat down in the chapel/organ room. The blinds were closed. As the President of the university stood to talk to us, the blinds slowly opened for this to be our view. Yes, just to the left of center is the Dome of the Rock. The Jerusalem Center is located on Mount Scopus which is part of the Mount of Olives. Our center mainly overlooks the Old City and the Kidron Valley. SO BEAUTIFUL!

Some of my great friends so excited to be here in Jerusalem! Alvin, Rachelle, and Melissa.

Alrighty, this is the view from the balcony of my room. Overlooking the Old City with beautiful roses to enjoy up close. I am truly the luckies girl in this world!!!

This is our cafeteria... the nicest cafeteria that I have ever been in. We call it the Oasis. 

Some of my new friends with Jerusalem in the background!

This is Jerusalem at night from our balcony. Yesterday is Jerusalem's Memorial day and today is their Independence day. So last night we watched as fireworks were lit off over the horizon. Such a great experience! Oh and don't worry, the Call to Prayer goes off every few hours throughout the night. I'm sure I will get used to that at some point but needless to say, not much sleep last night!

2 comments:

  1. I love it! If I only looked EVER as good as you do after 24 hours of traveling Luke would be a lucky man!!!! HAHA! I love your pictures! So excited for the stories! Even more excited to TALK to you. I'm going thru withdrawls;( Sure do love you. Thanks for the email! Love the blog. Pretty sure I will check it daily! Luv ur Big Sis!!!

    ReplyDelete