Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Caves, Field Trips, Sunsets, and the Beach: this is what I call school!

I must apologize because it has been quite a while since I last updated the blog. So much has gone on, therefore this post is going to be a long one. But I hope you enjoy some of the adventures I have experienced over the past few weeks! Here is just a few of the things that I have realized/ thought about/ learned recently:
  • Pitas are possibly the yummiest things ever!
  • We, as in all of the JC Crew students, are going to be the best of friends by the end of this trip because we are already sharing food, chap stick, sunscreen, sweat, nap time, and pretty much everything. We definitely have and will continue to see each other at our "best"
  • The Old Testament is a magnificent book that fascinates my mind.
  • And lastly, that this is going to be the sweatiest summer of my LIFE! It is only May and I have already been more sweaty than ever before! BRING IT ON!
This is a group of us entering Zedekiah's Cave. Super cool cave that goes on forever!!!

Strike a pose in Zedekiah's Cave

Tour under the Jerusalem Center anyone? Yep... Hard hats and all. So fun to see that the center is kind of floating above ground only held up by cement cylinders. This way all of the electrical, plumbing, and everything else is easily accessible. And yes, don't worry, I left my mark along with hundreds of others that have been here!

Another visit to the Holy Sepulcher: Alvin, myself, Lane, Rachelle, and Ian. Just gotta love these kids!

Sunset on the Sabbath overlooking the city from the center. Has to be one of my favorite views of all time!

So on Sunday (don't worry, our sabbath is on Saturday so our Saturday is really on Sunday... figure that one out) a group of about 50 students went to Tel Aviv. It was amazing! We toured the city of old Jaffa, played in the water/ on the beach, ate yummy gelato and falafel's, and just took a little break from the school life. 

This is my new best friend, Alvin. And the beautiful Mediterranean in the background. 

And this is what we do on the weekends!!!! 

Strike a pose everyone!
Ok... just a quick funny story, as we were posing for this picture, some random guy from another tourist group walked up, took a picture of all of us, and then walked away! hahaha So great

Story is told that if you make a wish while on this bridge and overlooking the beach, that your wish will come true! 

Sunset in Tel Aviv with two of my besties and a nice little sun tan! This sunset was one of the most amazing of my life. 

I may be obsessed with sunsets! Nothing as magnificent as the simple sunset at Tel Aviv!

Guys... look at this! Most amazing thing EVER! I AM OBSESSED! 

On Monday, we had a long day of field trips. We traveled to the Negev Dessert where we visited a women's empowerment facility, lots of ancient ruins/cites, and hiked a mountain! So sweaty, so cool, so AMAZING!

There is this amazing group of women in the Negev dessert (the southern most part of Israel) that have started a company of weaving rugs, purses, pillows, and other home artifacts. This group of women are trying to become empowered and are promoting the rights and education of women. This was an amazing stop on our trip and I greatly respect what they are doing. 

This is Yasmin (Jasmine in English). She is a volunteer at this women's organization. She is currently studying English at a university level. Go Yasmin

This is Lauren! She is such an amazing girl who is so passionate about the things that we are learning! I just LOVE her! We are currently standing under an arch of the ancient ruin of Avdat. It was a city that was on the top of a hill in the middle of the dessert. Somehow they survived and prospered.
As we traveled throughout the dessert, I began to realize why people who lived here and are main characters in the Book of Mormon and Bible murmured. I probably would have not been that happy of a person either!

Me and AJ... 

Jumping pic anyone? 
On our field trip, we took this amazing hike that the students haven't done for the past two years but it probably was one of my favorite parts of the trip so far. However, I didn't take my camera because I didn't want to whack it on a rock! But just to explain a little bit, we were hiking in the Valley of Sin or Zin as it is also known (this is where Moses and his people wandered in the wilderness for 40 years). It is a valley with a small stream and then steep, rocky walls that go up for what seems like forever. At the beginning of this hike I made the joke that we should hike to the top... completely joking. Well karma has its way of getting around because guess what, we did hike to the top... the very top! I have never been so sweaty in my entire life. YUMMY! However, it was probably one of my absolute favorite hikes ever. The view the entire way was amazing and when we got to the top, it was striking to look back at where we had just come. When we reached the top, we sang "Redeemer of Israel" and the song echoed throughout the canyon. I love that. 

Well, that is all for now. I will update again soon. We head to Turkey on Sunday and I am beyond excited. WOOT WOOT! I just have to say that one thing I learned this past week is that it doesn't necessarily matter where an event took place but what matters is that the event did take place! This church is true. Take heart and keep the faith. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you met Lane! You look so beautiful and happy! Have a lovely time. I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah!!! Lane is the greatest and we talk about you all the time! Thanks a bunch. Miss you oodles and hope you are having a wonderful summer! :)

    ReplyDelete