Wednesday, May 30, 2012

A jumbled update...

Confession: I haven't updated the blog since Turkey and a lot has occurred. So here is a little update of the past two weeks. Outside of the JC has been a blast. Inside the JC has been loads of "fun": reading, tests, class, more reading, eating, volleyball, more tests, and occasional PT's with Josh and Alvin. It finally hit me that I really am here for school... but our first set of midterms are over with and I'm loving the things that I am learning. 


JERICHO!!! We went to Jericho. Yep, like the road to Jericho where the story of the Good Samaritan took place. Also the place where the walls came tumbling down!
This is a picture of my friend Jerica with a Jericho water bottle! LOVE THIS GIRL!



Next was Arab Night!
SOOO FUN! For Arab Night, we all dressed up like the local Arabs (or at least tired to) and went to the Forum where two men from the Al Aqsa Mosque came and did the Call to Prayer for us. It was really interesting to learn about the call to prayer. After that ceremony, we went into the Oasis to have dinner. Our wonderful chefs had prepared an arab dinner for us... it was DELICIOUS! After dinner, we all went into the gym and learned a traditional Arab dance. 
Here are some pictures form the night. Interestingly enough, I really do look like an Arab. I probably could just stay here and fit right into the culture. But, because I like Utah, my family, and I like hamburgers, I think I will return in August. 
Left: Me, Joe Ludlow, and Chloe! Love these two!
Middle: Me looking like an Arab!
Right: Rachelle... just in the Arab moment!



On Sabbath (which is Saturday here), I finally got to go to the Garden of Gethsemane. WOW! Such a powerful and peaceful experience. We had the opportunity to sing in the church that is on the grounds of this cite.. the acoustics in this building are amazing and it was an overwhelmingly cool experience to sing here. The church that owns this ground has done an amazing job of keeping the grounds beautifully groomed. There is such an astonishing feel about this place, and the thought that this could be where Jesus Christ atoned for my sins is a very powerful and impacting thought. The event of the atonement is real. One thing that I think is very interesting is a story that my friend Natalie told me about olive trees. I guess that once upon a time someone burnt all of these olive trees down. But, because they were so strongly rooted, they grew back again even stronger. This story of olive trees can be related to our relationship with Christ. When all of the world comes crashing down on us, if we are deeply rooted in Christ and the atonement, then we will be just fine. We will have the strength and courage to grow back even stronger than we were in the first place. I guess the key to life is digging your roots deep in the things that you KNOW so that when the world tries to destroy you, no permanent damage can be done. Christ is the key to happiness and success in our lives today. This story is similar to one that my aunt has taught many times! Thank you!
P.S. isn't this picture just beautiful??? I LOVE THIS PLACE!



On Sunday morning, a whole group of us got up at 4:30 (in the morning) and headed over to the Western Wall for Shavout. It is a Jewish Holiday where they stay up all night and read the Torah. So we went to the Western Wall for the sunrise service. It was so cool to see all of the Jewish people worshiping. 
This is Rachelle and I with the Western Wall in the background. 



After our experience at the Western Wall, a bunch of us went to the Dome of the Rock. WOW! This building is MIND BLOWING. The Dome of the Rock sets on the Temple Mount and it is a very sacred place. The Dome of the Rock is even more beautiful than I had imagined from afar off. I definitely will be making more trips back to this cite. 



Monday we went on a field trip to the low hills of Israel. We went to the place where David slew Goliath and to a bunch of other cool cites. While here, our class reenacted the story of David (Robin) and Goliath (Blake). We got to sling rocks with slingshots. We also had the amazing experience of singing in a bunch of cisterns and bell caves. Such an amazing feeling. 
I just have to tell a funny story about this field trip! I had so many FUNNY things happen to me on Monday that it is kind of ridiculous. Mind you, it was over 100 degrees outside and we were hiking all around Tels and other cool ancient monuments (and don't forget that I am already a super sweaty person and that we have to wear pants that go to our ankles)! At one particular cite, we had been walking around/ climbing on rocks for what felt like forever in the blistering sun. When I finally got back to the bus and had situated the air conditioning to be blasting in my face, I looked down to realize that I had a gaping hole in my pants!!! YEP... thats right, at some point and time during our hike, I had ripped a hole in my pants! OH GOSH! hahaha But no worries, I quickly covered it up by wearing my fanny pack! To add to my struggles thus far in the journey, our next stop was at a location with a bunch of cisterns. These cisterns were all carved out of the ground that was made up of a chalky substance. Seeing as I was hot, tired, and a little out of it, I sat down on the ground at the beginning of this cite. The moistness of my pants (from excessive sweating) + the pile of chalk = natalie having a completely white bum, thighs, and calfs. Oh goodness.. so now I had a hole in my pants and they were covered in chalk. hahaha I don't think that I have ever been so excited to take a shower in my entire life! One thing I learned though is that by the end of this summer, our whole group is going to be so close that it is ridiculous! We already have shared so much of our personal self that it is crazy! But, I can honestly say that I love every single person here and I am beyond blessed to be surrounded by the very best people in this world!!! YOLO!


This picture is for my family! We have a slight obsession with wheat! Hope you enjoy this one gramps!



Last, but definitely not least, a group of us went and saw The Avengers (in 3D) last night! IT WAS SO GOOD! I seriously love it! Please enjoy the awesome people that I hang out with! Love them all!








1 comment:

  1. So first of all I think that the story of the olive trees was just what I needed. Thank you! Second of all we are totally sisters! I was almost crying I was laughing so hard that you split your pants, sweated so hard that you were then a chalky substance! I love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete