Saturday, May 12, 2012

Mother: my absolute BEST FRIEND!

To anyone who may know me, it doesn't take long to learn that my absolute best friend and life-long example is my mother. This weekend we have the spectacular opportunity to celebrate all of the wonderful mothers and women in our lives. I cherish and appreciate all of the women that have had influence in my life. From reading the about the lives and examples of women in times of old as well as the close relationships that are existent in my life right now, the influence of righteous women is powerful.

Seeing as I am currently half way across the world and unable to give my own mother a hug this Mother's Day, I thought I could send her my love this year from Jerusalem. Thank you, mom, for teaching me everything that I know over the years. Thank you for your constant love and understanding. I hope this finds you well and that you can feel the love that I have for you this Mother's Day! 

 Sister Beck spoke a few years back on the topic of Mother's who Know! Mom, you are definitely a mother who knows! Thank you!


"Mothers who know are always teachers." 
My mom has taught me everything that I know. Everything that is good about me comes because of my sweet mother! 


"Mothers who know do less. They permit less of what will not bear good fruit eternally. They allow less media in their homes, less distraction, less activity that draws their children away from their home. Mothers who know are willing to live on less and consume less of the world’s goods in order to spend more time with their children—more time eating together, more time working together, more time reading together, more time talking, laughing, singing, and exemplifying. These mothers choose carefully and do not try to choose it all. Their goal is to prepare a rising generation of children who will take the gospel of Jesus Christ into the entire world."
Thank you, mom, for always making time for me and teaching me to prioritize my life. 


"Of all the creations of the Almighty, there is none more beautiful, none more inspiring than a lovely daughter of God who walks in virtue with an understanding of why she should do so, who honors and respects her body as a thing sacred and divine, who cultivates her mind and constantly enlarges the horizon of her understanding, who nurtures her spirit with everlasting truth." 
-President Gordon B. Hinckley


"Mothers, we acknowledge and esteem your faith in every footstep. Please know that it is worth it then, now, and forever." -Elder Jeffrey R. Holland
Thank you, mom, for keeping the faith and pushing forward when I know that being a mom at times was heartbreaking. 
  

"We are living in a great season for all women in the Church. Sisters, you are an essential part of our Heavenly Father's plan for eternal happiness; you are endowed with a divine birthright. You are the real builders of nations wherever you live, because strong homes of love and peace will bring security to any nation." 
-President Dieter F. Uchtdorf


“And so, my dear young women, with all my heart I urge you not to look to contemporary culture for your role models and mentors. Please look to your faithful mothers for a pattern to follow.” 
-M. Russell Ballard


"The influence of your mother will bless you throughout life" -Elder Russell M. Nelson


"Motherhood is more than bearing children. … It is the essence of who we are as women." -Sheri L. Dew


Mothers Who Know Stand Strong and Immovable

"Who will prepare this righteous generation of sons and daughters? Latter-day Saint women will do this—women who know and love the Lord and bear testimony of Him, women who are strong and immovable and who do not give up during difficult and discouraging times. We are led by an inspired prophet of God who has called upon the women of the Church to “stand strong and immovable for that which is correct and proper under the plan of the Lord.” 6 He has asked us to “begin in [our] own homes” 7 to teach children the ways of truth. Latter-day Saint women should be the very best in the world at upholding, nurturing, and protecting families. I have every confidence that our women will do this and will come to be known as mothers who knew."
Above all else, I love my mother best because I have never for one day questioned what it is she stands for. My mom is firm in her beliefs, consistent in her actions, and loving in her deeds. Thank you mom for the example of deep love that you have for the gospel and for your example of steadfastness. 

To my sweet mother,
Thank you for the example and love that you have shown me for the past 20 years. Not only do I love you, I like you. You truly are my best friend, my favorite person to spend time with, and the only person I  can honestly tell everything. Thank you for teaching me to be a woman, to be respectful, to love people, and to love the Lord. I appreciate the woman that you are. You are courageous, strong, faithful, happy, fun, steadfast, loving... the list goes on and on. I hope on this Mother's Day that you can feel my love for you coming all the way from Jerusalem. Thank you for everything over the years! Happy Mother's Day!!!
Love always,
Natalie McKay Pennington

No comments:

Post a Comment